Big changes are coming for the Steinway Society’s annual piano competition! Starting in 2018 we will become part of a new nationwide piano competition for young pianists ages 18 and under, sponsored by Steinway & Sons.
This prestigious competition will take place at Steinway-authorized showrooms throughout the United States and Canada during Spring/Summer 2018. M. Steinert & Sons in Boston will be the regional site for Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and Vermont.
To participate, select your state and nearest Steinway showroom under “Start an Application” to the left. A $75 registration fee will be required.
Registration deadline for the Boston competition is April 30, 2018*
*Audition slots are limited and some application deadlines may vary by showroom location. Please register early to ensure participation and see application for registration deadline and important dates.
First Place Prizes:
- Division I – $400
- Division II – $700
- Division III – $1000
First, second, and third place winners at each Steinway-authorized showroom will receive commemorative medals and national recognition on the Steinway & Sons website. All participants will receive a certificate of participation and judges’ comments.
At least two pieces for solo piano of contrasting style and period performed memorized. All applicants will be provided an opportunity to play on the competition instrument before their audition. There is a chance that judges will need to cut off the performance during the audition time.
- Division I: Ages 9 and under (max 8 minutes)
- Division II: Ages 10-13 (max 10 minutes)
- Division III: Ages 14-18 (max 15 minutes)
*Additional materials may be required by Steinway authorized showrooms, including a video recording for a pre-screening round. Please see your application for any further requirements.
- Students are only allowed to participate at one audition location.
- Age requirements apply to applicant’s age as of April 1, 2018.
- Applicants must reside in the United States or Canada.
- An acknowledgment will be sent to each applicant upon receipt of the completed application form through Acceptd. Applicants will not be allowed to submit their application unless all information is complete.
- Qualifying competitors must perform live in order to participate in the competition.
- Music must be memorized.
- Evaluations during the competition made by the jury committees are final.
- Steinway & Sons and Steinway-authorized showrooms reserve the right to photograph, record, or video participants during the competition and use these documents for marketing purposes. No extra fee will be paid to the contestants.
- Each winner is solely responsible for reporting and paying any and all applicable taxes related to the prize(s) and paying any expenses associated with any prize which are not specifically provided for in the official rules. Each winner must provide the Company with valid identification and a valid taxpayer identification number or social security number before any prize will be awarded. Any person winning over $600 in prizes from the Company will receive an IRS form 1099 at the end of the calendar year and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS.
- Steinway & Sons reserves the right to the interpretation of the Terms and Conditions of the Regulations.
- For more information please contact Christina Dietrich, Artistic Director, Steinway Society of Massachusetts at email@example.com